Thursday 1 January 2015

On coming very late to the party

Well, I did get some presents knitted but no where near 12! Never-the-less I thought this was such a good idea, and if I'm honest feel a little guilty that I did not join in properly, I thought I would share the photos of my FOs all together here, just before New year is out!

Firstly there is Barndom a pattern by Steven West, knitted for my friend the writer Elizabeth Speller


It's knitted in two shades of John Arbon's Alpaca Sock (green and cream) and the centre is my own hand spun aplaca fibre in a red/green mix


I never quite stick to the patterns I use, in this case I kept knitting with the handspan (the shawl begins with a small garter stitch tab) until it was all used up, introducing first the cream then the green, I think the picot bind off was also my modification.


Then there is a pair of socks in Fyberspates Vivacious a DK weight hand dyed super wash wool.  The pattern is my own, that is I made it up as I went along, knitting the two socks at the same time on two circulars so that I could try them on as I knitted


The cables alternate in an attempt to create a ripple effect


Lumpy space,  for Caron is also by Steven West.  Again I used some of my own handspan, the fibre in the centre is silk brick by Hilltop Cloud, the plum colour Berry Compote by Porpoise fur, the blue and green is Manos del Uruguay fino


The silk in the centre was certainly lumpy (and thicker than the rest of the yarn I used) but it blocked out OK


Caron was so happy with it that she posted this photo on Facebook on Boxing Day


Finally there was a scarf for my daughter's boy friend in four colours of Rowan Worsted pure wool.  I didn't get it finished and had to give him a card on Christmas day containing a promise, which he already knew about because he read my blog!  But it is done now,  here it is blocking, and yesterday I delivered it.


And next year?  Perhaps I shall be a little more organised.  I've also made a resolution, more about that on my own blog

xx

c


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful projects and love the socks. Happy New Years.

Melody said...

Beautiful sewing